Sunday, June 15, 2008

Don't let teachers interfere with your education...

They usually say "Don't let school interfere with your education..." - but school is only part of the problem.

You grow up being told that School is the ultimate tool to crave our future, and we need to obey School. You need to learn everything they teach in School. You need to get good grades, you can't skip School, and so on...

Our parents tell us that we need to respect the Teachers. You can't be a troublesome kid, "do what the Teacher tells you to" - and that's how the problem develops.

We, as kids, see that Teachers are the authority. If the Teacher says X, you do X.

But worst of all, the Teacher has the right to say "You failed this exam. Yes, the Teacher has the holy right to fail you - and you'll need to take the exam again and again, until he decides you can pass.

(side-note: this is seen much clearer in Universities/Colleges, as opposed to High Schools/Primary or Secondary School)

Teachers know this, and a very lot of them overuse this power. It's going to their head - a lot of Teachers consider themselves as super-beings. Most of them think that the class they teach is a must - you will never succeed in life without their precious advices. And since they have the power to fail you, they can subtly force you do stuff you normally don't need to do. Like, in Romania, it's common use for a University Teacher to force you to buy his book (or, you won't pass the exam) - and most such books, just between you and me, are crap.

In Romania (and it seems quite often abroad as well), attending courses is obligatory. That is plain stupid, to say the least. What if I can learn by myself? What if I have something better to do? Give me a fair exam at the end of the semester, and be objective. How I study your courses - that's my problem. Why do you have to force me attend your courses? Holy Teacher, is this the best you can do?

But the cherry on the top - if you fail an exam, you need to take it again and again until you pass it (and sometimes you need to re-take the courses over and over). To this, I have a simple question: "Why?"

Why do You have to decide for me if a class is important to me? Just to show me that I'm small and you're BIG. So that You'll show me who's the authority... We all know we need to respect authority. We all know we need to respect Teachers.

Well, not me - I don't respect teachers - just because they're teachers. You, as teacher, need to earn my respect - I don't respect you by default.

Getting back to the problem at hand - why can't the school let you graduate with some exams failed? Fine, I failed some exams - I don't care - it's most likely classes I never cared, nor will ever care about. At the end of the school, just give me a diploma, and write my grades on it - if anybody want's to know, they'll check that. It's my interest we're talking about - if I fail an exam I care about, I'll feel ashamed, and take that course again because I want to.

School - as is right now, is obsolete - and I'm not talking about Romania here. Instead of forcing you to obey (which is what schools do now), they should show you free will. It's very hard to have free will if all your life you've been taught to obey.

Just think about it, when for your work, you attend a one-week course, those teachers are really amazing and they do everything in their power to make you understand. And at the end of the course, You give a grade to your teacher. That's how it should be.

Because, if we come to think of school as a business,
  • the teachers are the employees
  • the students are the customers
  • and the customer is always right
So, in the end,

If you're a teacher, remember
  • you're not a super-being, and
  • not all the students care about your class - this is ok, those that really care, will actually learn/be interested about your class
  • failing students will not help them
  • if you truly care about what you teach, make sure your classes are interactive, and that you actually care about what your students have to say
If you're a student, remember:
  • you don't need to respect a teacher just because he's a teacher
  • focus on the classes that you care about
  • you can learn a lot by yourself from books - often better than what teachers teach
  • university (lowercase "u") is not the holy grail - don't let teachers interfere with your education...

51 comments:

Magdas Adrian said...

I totally agree with you...Maybe so won't be so many students who can't get their diploma because some "superior being" doesn't pass him at some stupid course...

John Torjo said...

@adrian : He he ;) I know the feeling - met too many such "superior" beings...

Paulius Maruška said...

The situation is pretty much the same in Lithuania and I hate that!

Good article!

Romeo Dumitrescu said...

Let me just say that the post name says it all... I am currently in my third year at college and I can say that the teacher "interference" is getting more pronounced by the day. Imagine the look on the face of a student finding out that, for example, he can't really study the subject "Programming" because the sorry excuse of a teacher doesn't really know the damn subject. I can tell you that it's not a great feeling because I had it on my face very often in my "college adventure". Teachers don't just force you to buy their books (of course this is done very smooth by saying "You can choose not to buy my book.... but don't expect to pass the exam without having it") but I actually had teachers asking for small tokens of appreciation (bottles of different liquids probably used to jump start their engine in the morning :), sorts of gifts, etc) and asking some fellow students what these tokens are for, I just got a short answer like "You need your exam, right?".
John, you are absolutely right! How can I respect a teacher when he doesn't deserve it? I mean, he's called a teacher, right? Why doesn't he just teach the subject and earn my respect by the way in which he miraculously made me understand some difficult concept? Some of the teachers I know would answer "My salary is small and I need your material "respect"." Well, take it up with the establishment not with a young student who's time you will waste.
As for the subjects... OMG! is the exact, not exaggerated expression. I love C#. I want to learn the concepts, language, etc. related to C#. Why do I have to pass the exam at Java (just as an example) if I don't even care about that language? Teachers say: "You might need it in later life!" Well... I might need to fly a space ship in later life but you don't see me joining NASA. What gives them the right to decide these things for me? I know brilliant, absolutely brilliant students in various fields that have failed exams because teachers not only think that you will without any doubt need their class like the first breath of air but they are also convinced that you love their subject.
Another problem is that not many teacher have experience in their field of activity. They teach what they have memorized 10-15 years ago ("If if knew it then, I am sure that I don't need to revise or update") without any worry of being tested. I had teachers that asked for solutions to problems and couldn't correct them because they had absolutely no experience in working in that field. (i.e. my Algorithms teacher couldn't understand any of the algorithms written by the students. She even got annoyed when asking for help or asking her to take a look at your work. The motive for her getting angry: "Sit down and stop showing off!")
They try to intimidate, bully and harass students in thinking " OMG! This teacher is brilliant! Just look at the huge list of books I need to buy to pass this exam!" but after 5-6 minutes "wait a second... why are all of them written by my teacher?! Is he/she that brilliant?!" and after the first course in which the teacher reads fragments of the book considering them to be lessons, you think " I'll never learn this subject as long as I live".

To finish this long comment (hope I didn't bore someone :) ), students give up learning different subjects because of the inapt teachers by making the direct association between them. Statements like: "I hate Java (again, just an example), the teacher's awful!" are not that uncommon. Why do I have to hate Java because of the teacher?! I failed the exam at Java because of that teacher's way of thinking. Ergo: I hate Java.

Sorry if my comment was too long but I am disgusted by the state of things today and I am even more disgusted by the fact that nothing will change in the near future.

Thank you for the inspiring post.

Corina Buzatu said...

@Romeo: you WILL need JAVA, even though you hate it! ;) Don't think like every JAVA programmer about this...

@John: Great post, most of the teachers suck, but I have to say some of my teachers were really teachers and inspired me. All due respect for these ones, screw the others! :D

Romeo Dumitrescu said...

@corina buzatu
Don't understand me wrong, I like Java, really I do, but I was talking from the perspective of a programmer that might not "like" Java. It's really very selfish of a teacher to impose his/her beliefs to students...

iwrinc said...

Hello John!

I'm trying to use your wonderful logging library in my project, and I've got some questions... I posted them in boost-users list, but I'm not sure you watch that list.
So, may I ask you about it somewhere in your blog ? :)

Robert said...

I'm currently attending a local community college. One thing is for sure, teachers really don't know it all. I'm taking a C++ course, and every time I have a question it leads to "I have to get back to you on that." Usually results in most of the class laughing a bit. However, I do enjoy the class, and so far the teacher has done nothing wrong, he always has the solution in the next class.

Furthermore, I have had teachers that feel you should be a progidy just to attain a B. I had an English class, with a teacher who had an odd grading scale. My first paper was a -18 F, and the person sitting next to me was a -19 D+. (Note: the highest grade in the class was a student who spent 4 hours in the writing lab with that teacher working on her paper. and the next highest was a C+.) Well, after a talk with the Dean of my department things cooled down and I sleeked by with a C. Yet, I add my grades up in my required portfolio on percents and put them together with her grading scale and I should have a high B or an A.

So, what's your point? Well, I have to admit even though I did not get a grade in the class, I still spent a lot of time learning to write. My writing skills have increased tremendously (this would be a 1st draft) and I even managed to "figure" out my teacher and land a nice 95% on her final paper.

Final point: Don't hurt yourself just because you didn't get the grade you wanted. Remember the experiance of the class itself good or bad and what you did learn when you were there is more important to the employer.

Enough Ranting, not my blog lol

-Rob

fengfk2008 said...

我的站點介紹:情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品情趣用品,
情趣用品,
情趣用品,
情趣用品,
情趣用品,
情趣用品 來看看 賣克

室內設計這是我找過最好的一家唷!

室內設計這家很好!

保健食品代工,素食膠囊,順傑

你需要買雨傘,這裡有一把優良的雨傘讓你的,制服不會被淋濕唷!制服

tunretni (internut spelled backwards) said...

Why shouldn't it be this way?

Kissing ass can be a valuable life skill ...

likewise saying, "kiss my ass".

I've gone back and forth.

:)

pbsl said...

thanks for sharing this site. there are various kinds of ebooks available from here

http://feboook.blogspot.com

essiecuffee said...

鴛鴦吧成人,免費視訊,交友戀愛小站,尼克成人,383成人,成人漫畫,八國聯軍成人,正妹視訊,一葉晴貼圖片區,免費交友,080視訊聊天室,成人圖片,a片貼圖,080視訊聊天室,豆豆聊天室13 15歲,情色貼圖,色聊天室,情色貼圖,免費視訊,情色漫畫,哈啦聊天室,丁字褲美女影片,正妹計時器,666成人光,成人視訊,104 貼圖區,85cc成人片觀看,視訊,視訊做愛,0204貼圖區,嘟嘟成人網,正妹相簿,只有貼圖片區,正妹桌面,38ga成人,正妹空姐寫真,美女交友,ccn正妹牆,正妹找樂子,台灣美女寫真貼圖區,

一起吧 said...

一個人就像一個分數,他的實際才能是分子,他對自己的評價是分母。分母越大,則分數的價值越小。..................................................

yahoo said...

你所貫徹的形象,你喜愛它有多少百分比,你就幸福多少百分比..............................

男人女人 said...

分享的朋友,在精不在多,分享的幸福就在下一秒..............................

過分 said...

GOOD........................................

別跟我說 said...

cool blog,期待更新........................................

慧沛佳穎 said...

安以軒寫真集隋棠寫真集杜蕾斯貼圖打炮偷拍自拍正妹無名正妹老師女生自衛影片av999免費影片250av女優免費影片明星做愛自拍日本三級電影日本三級片下載日本三級片女星日本正妹人皮面具日本母子亂倫日本水手服女學生圖片日本波霸美女日本波霸美女dvd日本浣腸排泄美女 dvd美女 視訊美女 視訊米克綜合論壇85cc免費聊天室小說論壇甜心寶貝貼片嘿咻kiss168後官0951主入口hh卡通影片免費影片下載免費成人片觀賞a片免費0951撥打電話下載la論壇網愛聊天室3388影片區完美女人視訊我愛78影片線上免費看成人片77p2p影片網愛田av直播室showlive影音聊天網

婷婷 said...

Nice blog85cc,咆哮小老鼠,85街,免費影片,情趣爽翻天,愛戀情人用品,交友找啦咧,線上a片,女同志聊天室,sexy,色情網站,網愛聊天室,情色性愛貼圖,小穴,性愛姿勢,陰脣室,成人圖貼,性愛技巧,a片論壇,色情,85c,sexy網,人妻,脫衣,6k,18禁,手淫,性幻想,77p2p,情色,1007,85c,0401,後宮,色情,淫蕩,正妹,77p2p,ut室

1208茹宣dinoreale said...

新的一天 祝你有所成長~~ ....................................................

GenovevaPer32669 said...

Well done!........................................

蘇pet0701em_halvorsen said...

adult成人情色激情成人聊天網情色影片色情俱樂部性愛影片情趣淫水影音情色限制級照片live show女生自慰影片超屌成人情色留言板淫亂女自慰免費視訊辣妹巨乳鹹濕色情影音聊天自拍走光照片免費情色av圖片亞洲情色論壇淫慾免費裸女圖片裙底風光台灣色情論壇一夜正妹淫娃網情色下載a圖片全裸淫蕩女人情色影音聊天高潮自慰色情圖片成人自拍女生自慰亞洲成人色情dvd舔乳頭女生自慰影片台灣色情網站台灣性樂園sex story情色影音激情聊天室嘿咻情色自拍

0308MathewP_Thurlow said...

不要把生命看得太嚴肅,反正我們不會活著離開。...............................................................

B120ryantScipio1 said...

All good things come to an end..............................................

韋于倫成 said...

偉大的致富萬能之鑰,正是幫你充分掌握自己心志所必須的自律自制..............................

柏勳 said...

your wife is very charming!............................................................

坤郁 said...

浪漫月光論壇85cc成人影片區一葉晴貼影片區一元真爽黃電影一夜聊天室一夜情視訊網際論壇一夜激情聊天室一對多美女視訊一對一視訊一對一視訊聊天一對一視訊辣妹妹影音視訊聊天室甜心寶貝直播貼片玩美女人視訊網美女短片免費試看視訊交友網50024彩虹avdvdsex888免費看影片亞亞 dvd 光碟百事免費av視訊聊天網免費線上 aa 片試看85CCsex貼片網s383情色大網咖熟女自拍sex免費成人影片情境坊歡愉用品 視訊泳裝秀拓網交友免費成人影片,104免費成人情色文學小說視訊主播脫衣秀gogo2sexplus28論壇米克綜合論壇聊天室交友av成人網g8mm 視訊壞朋友論壇視訊美女msvt中部人聊天室視訊網愛聊天室網路援交168論壇辣妹貼圖新竹援交38ga片下載全國最大俱樂部ok視訊,視訊熱舞秀

靖福 said...

要持續更新下去喲!!祝你心情愉快.................................................................

冠慧 said...

nice to know you, and glad to find such a good artical!......................................................................

洪筱婷 said...

期待你每一篇文章......................................................................

江婷 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。......................................................................

佩春 said...

欣賞是一種美德~回應是最大的支持^^.................................................................

文辰文辰 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

婷珊 said...

好的開始並不代表會成功,壞的開始並不代表是失敗............................................................

香昱信張君林 said...

偶爾上來逛逛,下次不知是否還有緣再進來,先祝您平安順利!!!............................................................

詹莉emmaagnes莉真 said...

No garden without its weeds.............................................................

陳倩江陳倩江 said...

欣賞你的作品是我最近生活的動力~Go..................................................................

建佑建佑 said...

道歉是人類一定必要的禮節..................................................

琬安琬安 said...

人生有如洶湧的波濤,如果沒有岩石的阻擋,怎能激起美麗的浪花?............................................................

正玲宇軒 said...

不錯唷~我會常常來 >"<............................................................

p鄭hilli智pal堯ex said...

天氣涼了~要注意身體喔@~@..................................................................

韓秀美 said...

去冬眠以前,臨去秋波一下~~大家順利!!!............................................................

洪志源 said...

不斷的砍伐用的雖是小斧,卻能砍倒最堅硬的橡樹。.......................................................

彥麗威霞 said...

好的開始並不代表會成功,壞的開始並不代表是失敗..................................................

凱v胡倫 said...

大肚能容,了卻人間多少事,滿腔歡喜,笑開天下古今愁。..................................................

文王廷 said...

No pains, no gains.......................................................................

陳倩江陳倩江陳倩江 said...

人生像一杯茶,若一飲而盡,會提早見到杯底..................................................

建枫 said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」..................................................

阿袁袁袁袁華 said...

培養健全孩子最好的方法是父母先成為健全的人。......................................................................

文岳仲君 said...

君子遇窮困,則德益進,道益通。............................. ....................................